Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Weary Shoulders

No cause that I can think of, but a melancholy type emotion has hit me today, a longing for days gone by. A sort of sad remembrance of what life used to look like.

"That sounds sad, yet intriguing. Tell me more!"I remember the prayers that used to pour out of my heart and soul each day. No set daily devotions, I was never good at that. No agenda or protocol to follow. Just an ongoing discourse with the God I had served since my youth. "Lord, in what direction shall I travel today?" or "God, forgive me for ...." or "God, thank you for ..." or "God, I lift up ..." or "God, please help me live a life that is pleasing to you." or "God, what should I do here?"

I remember the Purpose. Yes, the fundamental Purpose for which all of my life was built around. Saving Souls. Nourishing The Body. Training Disciples. Everything and everywhere was for that Purpose. Every get together. Every sporting event. Every conversation with a client. Every choice on how I would live my life in the public eye. I never wanted to place any undue blemish on the name of my God, my Christ. Not that I always fulfilled my calling. But I will tell you, it is one thing to be walking in a forest or a ditch while at least knowing where The Path is or how to find your way back. It is something entirely different to find yourself in such a place as to not be sure there ever was a path, or if there was... if it was a good one. And if it was, and if it was good, how to find it again?

I remember the Rules. The Law. Predefined morals, benchmarks, and targets. Sin. Grace. Forgiveness. All of it was hard. All of it warred against my Self. But it was there, in a book. There is a certain sort of ease to submitting one's self to an Almighty Unquestionable Infallible Sacred Book. Answers are just waiting to be found, all I had to do was look hard enough... pray long enough ... submit myself entirely, selflessly to God ... and He would answer.

I remember the war that was waged within myself. Will I rule and reign in my life, or let God? Will I submit to my Flesh or to my Master? Such a battle. An epic struggle with victories and defeats, joy and real pain. But despite the difficulty, it had become so integral to my very essence. The core of who I was ... had always been defined by this hostile competition that raged inside of me.

More than anything, I felt IMPORTANT. I felt as though I was a key part in an unimaginably large universe. All of time that had passed before had lead up to Here and Now. And IT was up to me. I would be held accountable. I would be rewarded. I would be punished. There was a grandiose story that included me. All of mankind that had gone on before was watching me. It felt so ... yes, IMPORTANT.

God. I am so tired of this new thing, this new place I am in. I miss the familiar Path, with its potholes and obstacles I had become so well versed with. It never was too easy, but it was home.

Today, I miss it all dearly. A deep sadness, overwhelms me.

As a son mourns a departed father, I fear that my only hope for respite waits for me beyond the grave.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell me this, why is God good? To narrow it down, why is he good to you? Don't give me a bible verse.

Thursday, May 25, 2006 10:33:00 AM  
Blogger Miroslav said...

"Why is God good to you?" - Not sure if you mean WHY is he good to me (as in what is the reason that he is good) or if you mean HOW is he good to me (as in, what is the evidence of his goodness).

Believe me, my 'beef' with idea of an All Powerful Ever Merciful Good God has no roots in my own life. I live the life of a king, and I know it. My health, my spouse, my children, my success, the functional use of my body and brain ... , my family, my friends ... the list could go on indefinately about the good things in my life.

The problem I have with your question (wether asked from the standpoint of looking for the WHY or the HOW), is that it automatically triggers in my mind a complete evaluation that does not exclude the BlackDot. I cannot only look at the goodness in the world and leave it at that. When I evaluate the HOW and see the goodness in my life and others, I instantly also must consider, "But what about the rape, the torture, the humilation, and the pain?" When I look at the WHY (that is to say, when I hope that God loves ME), I instantly consider those who are not loved.

But none of this really has much to do with my entry here. Or does it? Whats the link between your question and my posted sorrow?

Thursday, May 25, 2006 5:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do you think that God has been so good to you and yours. And who ever said that the others were not loved? Why does there always have to some sort of link? Sometimes If I read something there is this sort of feeling accompanied with what I'm doing at the moment, And I would be wrong not to act on that feeling. When I read your latest post, that was the question that popped in my mind.
But if you must have a link, you sound sorry for yourself. When I get that way, and I do , it always helps to remember all that God has done for me. And not the material, but other, better ways. Fruit of the spirit. Wife kids etc. God continues to bless in spite of me. From the outside looking in I would say the same to you. You have incredible talent, (not to mention your pleonastic gift). Besides, if the rape torture etc bothers you so much what are you doing about it? Maybee theres a reason that it is always at the top of your mind.
If life is pressing down on your weary shoulders press back! God has given you the ability to do so. What are you waiting for, more torture and rape? Well I just looked into the future and here it comes.......

Friday, May 26, 2006 10:49:00 AM  
Blogger Miroslav said...

"What I think we have here is a failure to communicate."

But I appreciate your thoughts nonetheless.

Friday, May 26, 2006 11:14:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting.....

Friday, May 26, 2006 2:05:00 PM  
Blogger Miroslav said...

Sidwards8,
Ok, it has been gnawing at me for the last couple of days. Upon reconsideration, I suppose my response should have been, "Listen, it is not helpful for me to hear from you 'you sound sorry for yourself' after I've made an entry about a profound feeling of loss, sadness, heartache, and grief. It comes across cold and heartless."

So if I you will allow, I would like to change that to my official response.

joel,
Hey broski! Whats up my man!

Sunday, May 28, 2006 8:19:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Upon reconsideration, I suppose I should have used a little more sensitivity. I think you know I only want you to be truly happy and content, to follow God with all that he has given ye.
You are right about this, I could always use a little more heart.
Remember Luke, We only have a failure to communicate if we actually stop communicating, I cant afford to play that cool hand. I treasure our friendship too much.

Thursday, June 01, 2006 2:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sidewards8,
Take it easy on the melodrama. This too shall pass...
What does Sidewards8 mean anyways?
Miro,
What's up Bro?! Don't let that jerk get to you. He seems pretty shallow to me...

Friday, June 02, 2006 9:11:00 AM  
Blogger Woman of Faith said...

Miroslav,
I think that this journey is so necessary for you. Nothing on this earth is suppose to satisfy us. In fact it is the most real when we are in mourning. Because then we are yearning and longing for the completeness of what god intended for us and not the world that has been ruined by sin and selfishness. A freind of mine was telling me today about a passage in Eclesiastes that states something about how a place of mourning and being at a place of loss and death is the right and good place? this is a very weak paraphase here... But I can so relate to this. When my heart is open to feel all the suffering and pain around me, in my own life but especially in others it is then that I can fell the depth of God's love for me and I am filled with the yearning to be in His presence and completed like nothing else can. It had to start with me in recognizing that God does not owe me a thing. He truly hates sin and infact even the one who perpetrates that sin( have to read "Bold Love" to have this explained well. He chose to extend Himself to us and give mercy, but it does not change who He is or how righteous He is. I know that I am rambling so I will go now. Love ya

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 12:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


www.flickr.com

"Deep Thoughts" from Saturday Night Live ...