Sunday, May 14, 2006

Stepping Stones

Jack H once said, "...I can say, with considerable authority, that there is no observation we can make about pain, that is original. I wrote somewhere, of Adam clutching his dead son’s head, weeping tears his exile never taught him. Real pain is the pain we feel for the pain of those we love. Love harder, love more, then. Just to spite whatever bastard force there is in this world that loves evil. "
-- "Truth!", I say. "Its presentation seems to be like deep calling out to deep ... something already held inside, yet never pulled out from my soul ... until now. An unspoken thought, now expressed, has been been made manifest in to tangible truth."

So often I've said things along these lines, "I hope there is a God defined by goodness and love whom, because of my finite nature, I cannot comprehend; but the pain and horrid evil in this world is so palpable it crushes me."
The Master Kat recently told me, "You need to reverse the proposition. Though it may be a needed approach from time to time, the pattern by which you are thinking will lead to stagnation and death if you hold on to it for too long. Reverse the proposition. ... You must teach yourself to say, 'The pain and horrid evil in this world is so palpable that it crushes me; yet I hope there is a God defined by goodness and love whom, because of my finite nature, I cannot comprehend."
-- "Ah....," says the grasshopper, "You are a wise man, Master Kat!"

My wife and I vistited the church of some friends of ours today. Our friend Liz gave her first sermon. As I listened to her message, I held in my hand the audience participation tool she provided to each congregant: a plain white postcard with a black dot in the middle. The relatively vast white area represented the goodness of life while the black represented the annoying, hard, and difficult things we encounter. The message was about perspective... the importance of staying focused on the positive things in life. But I took something else out of it.
-- Why am I content to say, "Yes ... there is goodness in life, but an honest evaluation must conclude with the admission that pain and evil rule the day."?? Why is that my final conclusion? Doesn't light shine equally as bright today as it did one thousand years ago? Why do I so easily disregard the fact that love, and faith, and hope are as persistant through the ages as hate, pain, and evil? I cannot ignore the fact that the blite upon the earth that is the black dot only steals my focus because it lay upon a white backdrop.

So now, I shall reverse the proposition as the Master Kat has suggested.
"Evil, hurt, and pain exists today, as they have for thousands of years. Equally persistent are the forces of love, hope, and faith. Although the very real attrocities of the world crush my soul, ... I hope in a good and loving God who is bigger than my understanding. Just as death is evidence of the reality of darkness, so life, laughter, and joy will be to me evidence of goodness."

I shall love harder, more than ever before. And to the best of my ability. And I shall do it, as Jack H has suggested ... just to spite whatever bastard force there is in this world that loves evil.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll do it with you.

dad

Sunday, May 14, 2006 10:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great thoughts to chew on, Miroslav, thanks for sharing! I really like Master Kat's perspective switcheroo. And the dot on white paper illustration from Liz should come in handy some time to fight off feeling bummed --or to keep my kids from complaining!!

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 7:24:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I't seems to me that life is a black postcard with little white dots spinkled about. Grim, sure. Reality?......

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 9:47:00 AM  
Blogger Woman of Faith said...

Miroslav,
Really appreciate your thought on life and light versus darkness. This world is full of darkness. After all, it is ruled by the prince of darkness, the ruler of this world. God of course supercedes him, but God has chosen to allow him a time of relative rule. God, however, only needs to speak a Word and His light can overcome this darkness and more than that He reigns in the midst of the evil of this world. His peace and joy can be present in the most unlikely times.
In light of God being Love and Goodness I am reading a very interesting book by Dan Allender called "Bold Love". How much our idea of what love is falls so short of Real Love as displayed by God. I believe it is why we ask the questions that you have been asking yourself. We are incapable of love apart from God.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 9:36:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miro,
I'm reading a great book that I'll pass on to you. It is 'Soul Survivor-How thirteen unlikely mentors helped my faith survive the church' by Philip Yancey.
A couple of things said here bring to mind things in the book:
Einstein asked "Is the universe friendly?"
The naturalist Loren Eiseley, tells of an event he calls the most significant learning experience of his long life. Caught on a beach in a sudden rainstorm, he sought shelter under a huge piece of driftwood where he found a tiny fox kitten, maybe ten weeks old, which as yet had no fear of humans. Within a few minutes it had engaged Eiseley in a playful game of tug-of-war, with Eiseley holding one end of a chicken bone in his mouth and the baby fox pulling on the other end. The lesson he learned, said Eiseley, is that at the core of the universe, the face of God wears a smile."
As Yancey says nature does have its "mixed messages" though.
He writes about G K Chesterton who said "Nature is not our Mother; Nature is our sister." God created both the natural world and human beings as any artist creates, forming something separate from himself and then setting it free."God had written, not so much a poem, but rather a play; a play he had planned as perfect, but which had necessarily been left to human actors and stage-managers, who had since made a great mess of it."
Chesterton viewed this world as a sort of cosmic shipwreck. A person in search of meaning resembles a sailor who awakens from a deep sleep and discovers treasure strewn about, relics from a civilization he can barely remember. One by one he picks up the relics-gold coins, a compass, fine clothing-and tries to discern their meaning. Fallen world, beauty, love, joy-still bear traces of their original purpose, but amnesia mars the image of God in us.'

I know this is kind of long, but it spoke to me.
I don't ususally have philosophical thoughts yet, I do appreciate what is going on in your head.
Master Kat is all right!!

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 9:58:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miroslav,
The book Marita is reading is the same one Allison asked me to tell you about!! Must be a sign!
I checked it out of the library -- really great book. Lots of interesting people to meet (G.K. Chesterton is so cool), lots of food for thought.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 3:00:00 PM  
Blogger Miroslav said...

Dad,
You already do. And thanks!

Deb,
Yeah... the not-complaining route was sort of what Liz's point was, but what I got out of it was more about stopping myself from allowing the very real darkness that exists from becoming fatalistic in my mind.

Sidewards8,
Funny you should say that! Of course, I never know whether I should take you seriously or not, but that is actually how I see things. I didn't go too deep in to it in my blog entry, but I really do believe that much of life is hard and painful, with just bits of pleasure and goodness sprinled about. HOWEVER, the point to my entry is that no matter how dark and evil things become, the goodness somehow continues to exist.

Woman of faith,
Thanks for sharing! I don't see God reigning on this Earth. And I don't know how to call it good when an all powerful being watches such evil. But I do know this... Goodness carries on, somehow, some way.

Marita,
Great question! Deserving of its own blog entry really. My short answer? No. Hints of goodness here and there, but by and large I see chaos, pain, and death when I try to measure the weight of Life and Nature.
I love the thoughts from Chesterton you shared here. Good stuff. There is no denying that some sort of mysterious knowledge and purpose seems to exist that minkind has always sought after ... as if we were intended to have it all along but don't have the ability to quite grasp it.


And still ... goodness marches on. :)

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 6:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And besides, how could Chistians shine THE light in an already illuminated world? There should be some sort of contrast.What do you mean by "the goodness".

Thursday, May 18, 2006 12:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Asher!
Well, I haven't been on your blog for some time...life being crazy busy and knowing I always want to respond and often shouldn't. I like what I hear you contemplating (except for the B word : ) and I have my own two cents to add.
The whole idea of the darkness of evil vs. the light of God is such a theme in the Bible and the way I see it is I know which overcomes in the end...so that gives me peace.
However, as I walk this journey facing my light and dark times...I'm reminded of the perspective of the two spies Moses sent into the land of Canaan. They saw the same thing as the 10 spies who trembled at the giants and wouldn't venture forward, yet Joshua and Caleb saw them from God's perspective, as grasshoppers whom they could easily overcome.
Joseph was another who could have easily given up because of the darkness around him, yet he trusted in God's perfect plan which brought light into a dank jail cell and eventually touched many lives beyond his own. May God give us the grace to not just hope in a God of love and light but to know and experience His light in our darkest moments, so that nothing can keep us from loving Him with all our hearts and souls. I believe when we have this kind of relationship with our creator that no matter what the devil throws our way...the darkness will never extinguish our light. (or should I say His light!)
Love to all! Curly

Monday, May 22, 2006 7:38:00 PM  
Blogger Patrick Davis said...

Miroslav,
I do know this. You are a wonderful man gripped by the enigma of evil in this world, as well you should be. It sucks! (a word I do not allow my 4th graders to use)But despite yourself, you do believe in the good. In the God who will make things right, though they are, as you so accurately observe, are so very wrong now. He is coming, and I have no doubt that you, at least, are ready.
love ya buddy,
(my fourth graders would euwwwww at this point)
Pat

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 7:29:00 PM  
Blogger Miroslav said...

Sidewards8,
Ah... "the goodness". I must create a seperate entry for that my friend.

Curly,
Thank you for your thoughts!

Mr. D,
You are very kind. Thank you for your loving encouragement.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 9:11:00 PM  
Blogger Jack H said...

Did I say that? I must have been in one of my ecstasies. Transported by some passion that words can only hint at.

You speak of black dots. Funny. All I can focus on is the typo. "*Lover* more." How it haunts me. But that's the cost of being transported - it comes out faster than fingers can catch.

How's your adventure going, Pigboy? Or have you returned to the home of your father? Do it - if for no other reason, than that it will comfort his heart. We do love our sons, you know. More than we love ourselves. It may be that loving our fathers is more difficult. But your father seems like he deserves a son who's humble enough to love God even though God is beyond our understanding.

And of course there's a better reason to love, than to spite evil. That would be, to please goodness.

Amen

:-)

J

Thursday, May 25, 2006 10:48:00 PM  
Blogger Miroslav said...

Jack H,
Funny man you are. Sorry about the typo.
And so I am back to Pigboy in your sight. Pity me.

Thursday, May 25, 2006 11:26:00 PM  
Blogger Jack H said...

If only. Alas, it was MY typo. Mine! Mine! All these weeks and months, that nagging pain, gnawing at my soul like a boll weevil at the Tree of Life.

I am desolate.

Friday, May 26, 2006 3:30:00 PM  
Blogger Miroslav said...

ha! In that case... I mock you and your typo.

But cheer up. I have eliminated said error, at least in THIS post.

Friday, May 26, 2006 3:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


www.flickr.com

"Deep Thoughts" from Saturday Night Live ...