Friday, December 09, 2005

Quick Thoughts on Bertrand Russell

I just finished a fairly good sized collection of essays by Bertrand Russell, "generally recognized as one of the founders of analytic philosophy and most important logicians of the twentieth century."

Care to know my impressions?I found the read to be enjoyable in that it was intellectually stimulating. In fact, I will even go as far as to say it was quite a pleasure to read Russell. Many times I found myself cracking a grin at the raw angst he has towards religion as a whole. I found that much (though not nearly all) of Russell's frustration (and intellectual ammunition) came from the Church's condemnation of birth control and the pain that has been inflicted on women and children as a result. I wonder what Russell would make of today's issues of abortion and homosexuality? Many of his arguments carry over fairly well without much adjustment needed.

With that said and at the risk of sounding disrespectful to a man who did have a great mind, I have to say that I have somehow come to categorize at least some of what I read by Bertrand Russell in the same category as a Jerry Seinfeld act: insightful, almost convincingly... but ultimately nothing more than an amusement. There were times that he put so much stock in human intellect and science that I just couldn't take the argument seriously. But of course that is coming from me, a man living in the post-modern world.

Here are some of the quotes that I found to be of most interest:

"Christianity, I will admit, does less harm than it used to do; but that is because it is less fervently believed. Perhaps, in time, the same change will come over Communism; and if it does, that creed will lose much of what now makes it obnoxious."

"Most moralists have been so obsessed by sex that they have laid much too little emphasis on other more socially useful kinds of ethically commendable conduct."

"I do not believe that a decay of dogmatic belief can do anything but good. What the world needs is not dogma but an attitude of scientific inquiry combined with a belief that the torture of millions is not desirable, whether inflicted by Stalin or by a Deity imagined in the likeness of the believer."

"Dr. Barnes tells us that man 'knows right and wrong.' But, in fact, as anthropology shows, men's views of right and wrong have varied to such an extent that no single item has been permanent. We cannot say, therefore, that man knows right and wrong, but only that some men do. Which men? Nietzsche argued in favor of an ethic profoundly different from Christ's, and some powerful governments have accepted his teaching. If knowledge of right and wrong is to be an argument for immortality, we must first settle whether to believe Christ or Nietzsche, and then argue that Christians are immortal, but Hitler and Mussolini are not, or vice versa. The decision will obviously be made on the battlefield, not in the study. Those who have the best poison gas will have the ethic of the future and will therefore be the immortal ones." .... maybe I'm just sick, but that made me actually laugh out loud when I read it.

"I for a long time accepted the argument of the First Cause, until one day, at the age of eighteen, I read John Stuart Mill's Autobiography, and I there found this sentance: "My father taught me that the question, 'Who made me?' cannot be answered, since it immediately suggest the further question 'Who made God?'" That very simple sentance showed me, as I still think, the fallace in the argument of the First Cause. If everything must have a cause, then God must have a cause. If there can be anything without a cause, it may just as well be the world as God, so that there cannot be any validity in that argument. It is exactly of the same nature as the Hindu's view, that the world rested upon an elephant and the elephant rested upon a turtoise; and when they said, 'How about the turtoise?' the Indian said, 'Suppose we change the subject.' The argument is really no better than that." ... only a smirk out of me here

"If a theology is thought necessary to virtue and if candid inquirers see no reason to think the theology true, the authorities will set to work to discourage candid inquiry. In former centuries they did so by burning the inquirers at the stake. ... in Western countries the authorities have perfected somewhat milder forms of persuasion. Of these, schools are perhaps the most important: the young must be preserved from hearing the arguments in favor of the opinions which the authorities dislike, and those who nevertheless persist in showing an inquiring disposition will incur social displeasure and, if possible, be made to feel morally reprehensible. In this way, any system of morals which has a theologicalbasis becomes one of the tools by which the holders of power preserve their authority and impair the intellectual vigor of the young." ... boy, I have to say I see some truth in this stuff...

12 Comments:

Blogger David Porta said...

"Bertrand Russell in the same category as a Jerry Seinfeld act"

Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!

Friday, December 09, 2005 6:27:00 PM  
Blogger Miroslav said...

Hm, I have to admit that my original reference was intended to refer to the Catholic Church... I stand corrected. However, a quick google search tells me that the Protestant Church also condemned Birth Control until 1930's-ish, so I think the point still applies. A friend tells me that even the rythm method is still considered by the Catholic Church to be sin. Is that why Catholics dance like Steve Urcle? (1:30am humor... sorry.)

Saturday, December 10, 2005 1:23:00 AM  
Blogger David Porta said...

The RCC now permits the rhythm method, but there are requirements. It is not the norm.

http://www.tanbooks.com/doct/husband_wife.htm

"The Catholic norm in marriage is to trust completely to God’s Providence in the matter of bearing children: in other words, to accept all the children that God may send, without reservation or question."

Saturday, December 10, 2005 4:00:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never read Russell nor does he sound like someone I'd ever want to read...I'm sorry, but the Bible and writers who support its truths are good enough for me. I have no problems with an inquiring mind, but I'd like to caution you with these truths...

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
"For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written, 'I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the cleverness of the clever I will set aside.' Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?...but we preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling block and to Gentiles foolishness, but to those who are the called, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men....God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong...So that no man may boast before God...but let him who boasts, boast in the Lord."

These verses from the Bible remind me of one of my favorite Old Testament verses,
Jeremiah 9:23 "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the Lord who exercises lovingkindness, justice and righteousness on earth; for I delight in these things, declares the Lord."

I offer no apologies for believing that God is eternal...He had no beginning and no end...He's the awesome creator of this universe and of me...and it's Him I answer to not the philosophies of men.

Let me quote an article I recently read in which Larry Crabb was interviewed about his view of God in the midst of human suffering. Larry was a well-known Christian counselor for decades. He's now switched his focus to a ministry which emphasizes helping others to deepen their relationship with God above all else. The following quotes address some of your struggles with relating to God in a hurting world.

"When your life is shattered in some way, there is an incredible opportunity to know God more deeply. I think we need to recognize that God is not committed to giving me a comfortable life. If He were, He could be doing a better job! He has the resources and I have a few suggestions--which He doesn't seem to be terribly open to. So I presume He has a higher goal.
Oswald Chambers said that the root of all sin is the suspicion that God really isn't good. So in the middle of shattered dreams, how can I call God good? The answer is that I need to understand what His purpose is. He purpose is not to give me a comforable life now, it is to satify my soul with Him...
We must realize that even in our worst moment God is up to something good. There's something far deeper going on than defeating the devil or learning our lesson, God's ultimate purpose in our suffering is intimacy with Himself.
...In some ways I think that the Christian who is disappointed with the Christian life is on the way to true maturity. Paul, in Romans 8, talks about groaning. The person who is not groaning is not facing realiity, because the Bible says that the whole creation is groaning....C.S. Lewis said that God gives us many resting places on our journey home, but He never allows us to mistake them for home."
These are isolated exerpts...but the idea is that suffering and disilusionment in life or God are allowed by God to draw us into a more intimate fellowship with Himself. May all our questions, doubts and searching lead us to embrace the truths of who God truly is.

I'm not sure if all this fits your discussion...but I've got to leave so here you have it!

Saturday, December 10, 2005 7:44:00 AM  
Blogger Miroslav said...

Curly,

Yeah... that fits the discussion well! Great thoughts and input. Thank you!

Saturday, December 10, 2005 1:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't want to be a pirate! This berty fellow is deep.....way deep, speaking of which this whole rhytym method is fascinating to me, but I doubt that it would be of any use to me being that I am whiter than the driven snow. There could be hope for me yet.
Quick q. Should I actually read these things before I respond?
Anonymous 2

Saturday, December 10, 2005 9:59:00 PM  
Blogger Miroslav said...

Anonymous 2,
No, its not a requirement for you my friend. I would hate to strain that glass eye of yours.

Saturday, December 10, 2005 10:02:00 PM  
Blogger Deborah said...

"Christianity, I will admit, does less harm than it used to do; but that is because it is less fervently believed."

Ooh, I have to agree with Bertie Russell on this. Of course, I would emphazise the flip side:
"I admit Christianity does less good than it used to do; but that is because it is less fervently believed." Thinking back to the church in Acts, or the Reformation, maybe.

This past year has been an eye opener for me in actually reading the Bible and choosing to believe what it says -- even on such ideas as birth control!

Sunday, December 11, 2005 2:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Bible has teaching on birth control?

Someone do tell!

All I know is that if I even look at my wife during certain times of the month she will immediately be "with child."

Sooooo...no looking during those times. Not even a peek! Or else, better get out the baby name book.

Monday, December 12, 2005 9:39:00 PM  
Blogger Woman of Faith said...

Well, I really have to agree with what Curly has to say. Thanks to "Mama to Three Soaring Arrows" I am reading John Pipers book "Desiring God".If an intellectual read is what you are looking for than this is it. I realize how unitellectual I am when I try to wrap my mind around some of this stuff! It is really enlightening and makes me realize how little we explore the depths of our God. He is truly amazing!

As for the birth control issue, I was glad to read "Mama to Three Soaring Arrows" response in her blog. I was starting to get concerned that I had missed something in scripure after all these years. I really appreciated the idea of heart attitude and how we cannot and should not judge another in this area! It appears that "Mama to Three Soaring Arrows" may have to Change her name!

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 9:08:00 AM  
Blogger Deborah said...

I knew that comment I left sounded...crazy :) The Bible doesn't say anything about birth control, but it says lots and lots about children and what our response and hope about children should be...I typed up some of Douglas Wilson’s thoughts on this over on my “blog” – he explains it very well. www.onebeggarsbread.blogspot.com

My thoughts on birth control have changed for many positive reasons instead of any "Thou Shalt Nots."

Among other ideas, the Bible says children are blessings, gifts, a heritage and a crown. The Bible also says that God knows what He is doing in my life and that I can trust Him.

I want to be part of a mutli-generational vision, where should the Lord not come back as quickly as we hope, we have a legacy set in place of godly families rocking our future world. Philosopher Roger Scruton cautions that societies endure only when they are devoted to future generations and that "they collapse like the Roman Empire when the pleasures and fancies of the living usurp the inheritance of those unborn." I think Christians have sacrificed our future by not preparing our kids for their own lives nor have we taught them how to prepare their own children or their children’s children. My guess is the fault lies in a mixture between being too focused on the “pleasures and fancies of living” or on Jesus coming back so soon that we felt future-planning not necessary. Right now, the statistic of children leaving the church at age 18 is around 86%, and I think parents forgetting the privilege and responsibility given to them by God is at least partially to blame for this.

I also want to be a part of the movement where God is turning the hearts of the fathers back to their children and the children to their fathers -- when this occurs, won't the world stand up and take notice? (We ARE living in a pretty anti-child world. Just watch folks' reactions to a family of 8 out in public. Or listen at the watercooler as your friends complain about how "hard" it is to raise their kids and how they could never have another one. Or watch a “family” sitcom. True – the world is also into child-worship, but that is just the flip-side of the coin of child-hate. God’s perspective is another coin altogether.)

I guess I’m getting off the point. I’m just a little bit excited about our ministry that God has placed right under our noses! Can you tell? Off to discuss Bertrand Russell with the kids :)

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 11:52:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eagle's mom's comments are indeed beautiful.

I was just about to pack up the family and leave California when the results of Arnold's proposals came in a few weeks ago. (There was really only one that I was deeply interested in...)

The reality that there were not enough Christian fathers (and mothers)who would cast a vote to protect this generation's under age daughters who become pregnant was stunning to me.

As stewards of our society I do believe we must speak out for the things we believe are good and against the things we believe are not good for our generation. Voting is one of the powerful voices we can use.

Children are indeed a gift from God...our children and our neighbor's children.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005 1:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


www.flickr.com

"Deep Thoughts" from Saturday Night Live ...