Monday, November 14, 2005

A written confession

Thought I'd share the first time I put to paper the severity of my doubts. This was my first written confession of questioning Christ. I wrote it after talking with my father about the subject for several hours and I felt like I just wanted to clarify where I was at in my heart.

Pops,
Here is where I’m at:

24Now Thomas (called Didymus), one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. 25So the other disciples told him, "We have seen the Lord!" But he said to them, "Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe it."
26A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you!" 27Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my
side. Stop doubting and believe."
28Thomas said to him, "My Lord and my God!"
29Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed;
blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."
My 100%-sold-out faith has died. It really has. I sensed it was dying quite a while ago as I began having doubts and questions that I could not find answers for. I’m not trying to say I deny that Christ is God. I just don’t know. I don’t have the firm faith I once had. I feel like Oprah. Not out saving souls… or preaching the gospel … I can’t deny that when I cry out, I’m sure I will cry out to Jesus.

It is obvious to me that God exists just by the sheer marvel of our universe. But beyond that, I feel like I have far too many questions to pretend that I know what THE ANSWER is.

What “killed” (at least for now) the faith that I once held so firmly?

1) Personal pain / injustice : From childhood stuff to New Hope stuff to friendship issues…
2) Global pain / injustice : Hurricanes, starving kids in Africa, wife beaters and child molesters
3) Intellect that I cannot push aside. Admittedly limited and finite, I cannot resolve major dilemmas I have with the “meat” type issues of scripture. As my emotional issues grew (items #1
and #2), I spent more and more time researching and reading hoping to find answers. I only found more questions and discovered that even the great thinkers of Church history had issues that could not be resolved. Somehow, however, they were able to find peace without final resolution. And so I’ve waited… and still am without peace.
I read an interesting quote in the book, “Disappointed with God”. Unfortunately, I lost the book and can’t recall the quote exactly… but in essence said something like:
“Any world view, no matter how firmly held, will eventually change given enough examples where it is proved wrong.”

I’m not saying my life pains, or global pains, or my intellect PROVE that the God of the bible doesn’t exist, but all those things tallied together sure do prove that I don’t have the answers!

I’ve said over and over again for the past 2 weeks something that dawned on me while reading through Wild at Heart for the third time. “The story just doesn’t make any sense to me any more…”

God appeared to Job, Paul, and Doubting Thomas. His appearance did not change their personal pains or global injustices, and they were not given all of the intellectual answers. His presence alone satisfied what their faith was lacking. I think that is what I need.

For whatever reason, God makes himself mysterious to us people. He doesn’t talk audibly, or show himself physically, or allow us to pin him down with reason. I don’t know why. But at this point, after plenty of hours studying, many hours praying in worship, and crying buckets of tears from how GUILTY I feel for losing my faith… I don’t know that its my effort that is lacking. Maybe I’m supposed to be in this place of disbelief? (Calvanism) … maybe I’m lacking in faith and will be held accountable for “wasted” time? (free will American churches) … or maybe ???

If God desires to reveal himself to me in such a way that causes me to trust in him despite my unresolved issues… I would absolutely love it. I really would ‘cause not having faith sucks. Until then… I think I’m just stuck.

6 Comments:

Blogger Aaron said...

I could give you my wisdom, but it might prove no better than Oprah's. I advise you to search the Word of God. If you don't belive it to be God's Word anymore, read it anyway. It can't be any worse than the modern gibber gabber that claims to solve the world's problems and is obsolete next week.

Search the Scriptures regarding personal pain. You can find more people than just Jesus who went through pain. Some suffer terrible diseases that God did not take away (like Elisha). Some suffered painful death (like Isaiah and Peter).

Search the Scriptures for the men and women who cried out to God for justice. Indeed, great evil is committed in our great "Christian" nation. We murder millions of unborn children each year in the name of "choice", and we are outraged more over the Pledge of Allegiance. Read the complaints and cries of the prophets and the psalmists.

Consider the Scriptures and why it calls the Gospel "foolishness" to those who are perishing. The Gospel cannot be accepted or acknowledged by mere intellect. It requires the regenerating power of the Holy Spirit to transform the hardened heart that has been at war with God since conception.

Your brothers and sisters in Christ are such as these, men and women who suffered pain, witnessed injustice, and doubted.

Thursday, November 17, 2005 8:55:00 PM  
Blogger Miroslav said...

Aaron,

I agree fully with your point that the Bible holds stories of suffering and injustice... and that there are heroes of the Christian faith that had long seasons of doubt and trials. I've always said the Ecclesiastes is my favorite book in the Bible because of its straight forward unabashed look at injustice.

I haven't discarded the Bible. I just don't currently have faith that it holds the answers to my questions.

Miroslav

Thursday, November 17, 2005 9:31:00 PM  
Blogger Miroslav said...

And so it is that Pilgrim's Progress take the second position in my TO READ list! Thanks for the suggestion! First is "Blue Like Jazz" ... then "Pilgrim's Progress" (for its been suggested many a time, and I've been meaning to re-read it since I've found myself in this situation).

I'm not sure that its contemporary Christianity I'm having a problem with so much as the teachings of the Bible itself (or at least what I read in to them). The core issue? Why does God get glory for the good, and we humans are stuck bearing the burden for the bad? ("Free Will" and God's Sovereignty)

Monday, November 21, 2005 11:23:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Miroslav, You are on the right path even when it feels like your faith is not where it was. Your questions are right. Your doubts are right. I might be in the few who tell you to embrace this time in your life to the degree that you let the questions and answers fly as they will.

Sunday, November 27, 2005 4:01:00 PM  
Blogger David Porta said...

He writes
//
The core issue? Why does God get glory for the good, and we humans are stuck bearing the burden for the bad? ("Free Will" and God's Sovereignty)
//
But what does he mean by "good" and "bad"?

I'd see "good" as the water pouring from a faucet, and "bad" as us stuffing our finger up the faucet. So: our fault if the water doesn't come, but not our glory if it does.

He sez:
//
If it was all started in his hands, is God not the author of EVIL? Is He not ultimately responsible for creating the unbeliever (albeit via the choices that Adam himself made)?
//
That's like blaming the parents of a criminal for bringing forth evil. Obviously evil is the fault of the chooser, not his Creator.

One could object that God knew in advance that few would choose the right path, but this assumes that a few good people aren't worth numerous baddies. In the periodicals market, only about 20% of the magazines published "sell through" to readers; the rest are destroyed. Still worth it!

Some links:

http://www.leaderu.com/offices/billcraig/menus/omniscience.html

http://www.leaderu.com/offices/billcraig/menus/particularism.html

http://www.christian-thinktank.com/

Sunday, November 27, 2005 11:45:00 PM  
Blogger Miroslav said...

D.Porta,

Thank you for your input!

You hit the nail on the head with your analogy of the magazines... That is precisely the trouble I have with the very clear message of the Bible. Scripture tells us that God is both full of forknowledge and that he is also the very embodiement of love so much so that we are to think of him as "our father." I can't get my mind around those two things at the moment. Now, if we were told that God was a marketing genius instead of a loving father, I think the idea of predestination and burning the baddies would be easier to swallow! :D

I will check out the links you suggested. Thanks!

Monday, November 28, 2005 9:51:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


www.flickr.com

"Deep Thoughts" from Saturday Night Live ...