Sunday, March 26, 2006

Straight Talk

Second sermon in a row that I've been really impressed with from The Axeman, the pastor of our church. Both sermons ventured into difficult territory ... and avoided overlysimplistic answers. I absolutely love genuine, straight talk from the pulpit. I absolutely HATE double-talk or blah-blah-blah disengenous garbage. The sermon several weeks ago was on forgiveness, today's was on the subject of modern day signs from the Holy Spirit (speaking in tongues, prophecy, etc).

The Axeman's approach to building a church is a total about face from the church I used to be a part of. On today's topic for instance, after reviewing some verses from the Bible, The Axeman gave his opinion on the subject of spiritual giftings, but made specific efforts to keep from saying that his interpretation was the only way of interpreting things or that his way was absolutely the right way. Its nice to hear a genuine, passionate, and compelling sermon that still leaves you room to work through things yourself.

Props to you Axeman!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep--we promptly approached him at the end of service to thank him for a message that was brought with so much of God's love. It was an inspired word, for sure.

I wonder if he knows you've already blogged abt him
:- ]

Sunday, March 26, 2006 2:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is balanced and sincere. I just wish he would have made someone float or something. Come on gimme some candy.

MJB

Sunday, March 26, 2006 9:55:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're writing again. I love hearing about the Axeman and everybody from church.

Especially interested in what he had to say about forgiveness.

I spoke at church a month or so ago - the subject was family. I chose to speak on the value of family and, specific to my past, how to value your family. Interesting where God takes us when we're least expecting it.

Just a few minutes into it, I fell off my notes completely and spoke about forgiveness. Come to find out, there are many levels of forgiveness, of which I am nearer the core. A scary place to be initially; I resisted at first, then allowed myself to soften in the hopes of forgiving once and for all. Don't know if that will be, but I sure feel free. (obviously your poetic talent came from me :)
I love you. I miss you. I'm coming up there soon.
Momma

Monday, March 27, 2006 1:09:00 PM  
Blogger Miroslav said...

Auntie Lamb,
Yeah, he knows. He has written on this blog from time to time actually. I don't think he checks it everyday or anything though...

E,
? why dat?

MJB!
Welcome to my blog dude! Thanks for the comment. I agree. A REAL pastor would have been able to make a fireball or sumpthin... :)

Momma,
Love you mom. Glad to hear that your testimony continues to be used to encourage others! You are an awesome woman!

Monday, March 27, 2006 1:52:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, go, Momma--wonder if God would have you speak at an event for the women of Axeman's church....I'd come!

Monday, March 27, 2006 4:36:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to comment about the Axeman.
He is one of the few, very few preachers, that speak in such a way that I actually ponder the things he has said. During the week I consider the word he brings and what it means to me and my life.
Usually it is
"In one ear and out the other" Sad, but true!
So, I give him props too!!

Sunday, April 02, 2006 8:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


www.flickr.com

"Deep Thoughts" from Saturday Night Live ...