Tuesday, March 14, 2006

ill with confusion

(wrote this on the airplane ride home from D.C. ... just got around to posting it now)

During the past several years, my awareness of the pains of life (primarily that experienced by others) have sunk so deep in to my heart that they seem to have destroyed any sort of practical or tangible faith in a good and loving God. Gone too is my trust in mankind (myself included).

Read more about my sick mind here.Today I spent nearly three hours exploring the Holocaust Monument in Washington, D.C. It was horribly painful. Some of the things I saw and read made my knees weak. And more than once I felt sick to my stomach. Such terrible and evil things were done to so many people. On the third floor I spent some time in a portion of the Monument dedicated to educating people about the current genocide occurring in Darfur.

As I left the building, I remembered that last night I watched the CNN reports of the young gal who was raped, murdered, and left mummified by tape and plastic. Who could do such a thing?

Then I thought of all the pains of my friends and loved ones. I pondered their deep disappointments and the tragic turns that life forces upon each of us from time to time. I thought of a friend who was molested by her grandfather. Of another who watched her father's mind and body destroyed by a drug addiction.

One cannot ignore the very real and obvious Evil that exists in our world. But what do I make of it? What do I make of Hitler's infamous writings, "My Struggle" ? I heard several times at the conference, "Children must be taught to hate.", which I agree with completely. But Wasn't Hitler an innocent child at one time also? What was it that happened to him that shaped him in to the man he became? How about the rapist and murderers in the world or the drug addicts? Yes, like many, part of me leaps quickly to condemn the actions of these people... but perhaps they too are victims of something far darker than anything we can understand. Or perhaps they are victims of Life. Or perhaps Life, and everything we know about it, is in fact Death... or at least a painful, slow, unavoidable Death march.

I find myself bouncing back and forth between four paradigms that stand in stark contrast to one another (two Christian and two secular).

My Reformed mindset tells me that every man should live according to his heart's convictions and understand that God will sort it all out both in the here and now and in eternity. In some ways its almost a medieval sort of thinking. There is Good. There is Evil. And there is a lot less FreeWill than what we might otherwise think. Knights and Noble Kings are born. So are Drunkards, Rapists and Torturers. I wish I could leave my mind here. I really do. But it is collapsed when I see Jesus command people to repent. What a cruel commandment if it is neither in their power or their destiny. Or perhaps cruel is not the best word. Maybe it is in fact Love. But not the sort of love that I can even remotely relate to. Its the sort of Love that is only called such a thing because, "who are you, O man, to talk back to God?"

My North American Evangelical Christian perspective tells me that all can be saved. "Raise your voice and your hand and come to the front. Believe and you will be saved. God loves YOU." Those that believe and confess... they are in. Those that "harden their hearts" or "reject Christ"... they are out. But what of those that don't hear to begin with? What of those who the Bible tells us had their hearts hardened by God? What to do with the clear teachings regarding predestination? How does one even believe in Christ to begin with? "Believe in your heart and confess with your mouth", right? But the Bible tells us clearly that faith itself is a gift! So in the end, we are judged for all eternity by what God chooses to give us (or not). And all this, we are told, is a love like a father has for his children.
"HUH?" says Miroslav.

And so, I turn to my own understanding. I try to make judgment calls on all the issues of life. I create my own moral compass. I find meaning and purpose where I can. The World According to Miroslav, as it were.

But my post-modern thought eats at me with vicious questions. Questions with disturbing answers. Can I judge Hitler to be any more of a criminal than some of the Jewish leaders of the Old Testament who followed the voice of God? Didn't they too take the battlefield with instructions to annihilate entire people groups? And what about the good old USA? Our country rests on the grave of its original owners. How can I justify a moral code that is based on nothing other than the whims of my own heart and mind? It sounds good until we are on the brink of WWIII and some absolutes must be formed. Its not difficult to live in the good old air-conditioned USA and talk about peace, love, and prosperity for all men. But this sort of approach leaves me feeling very uncomfortable when I consider the complex issues of life like sexuality. How do I train up my children with no standard other than what I feel is acceptable? And there is really no power in my convictions when they are not subject to anything higher than myself. And so I feel helpless to reckon with the conflicting desires in my heart, or the man down the street who is a know child molester, or the nutcase in Iran who wants to nuke the Jews.

I'm left with the only answer I can say with any confidence today, "I don't know."But I don't know how to live this way! Sometimes I feel like I'm on the brink of insanity. And I don't say that casually. The things that I find to be most reliable in life are desire, medication, and pain. And of those I don't trust the first and don't like the second or third. Peace and happiness to me are torturously fleeting in light of the horror of Life.

Oh that I could believe in Christ ...

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The God of the Bible instructed the Jews to wipe out tribes and nations who had become, and would only remain cancerous to His choosen people.

As a father, you would instruct a doctor to take his best shot at removing and killing every cancer cell from the body of your child in the hopes of preserving their life. Same with the Almighty.

Hitler killed for sport and out of wicked arrogance.

This mysterous God of ours, used the pure evil of Hitler to drive the Jews back to the land of promise in His plans to once again save them for Himself and from the wicked one.

Figure that out?
No way.

dad

Tuesday, March 14, 2006 10:22:00 PM  
Blogger Deborah said...

No answers from me (but your dad's words were RIGHT ON) -- I just wanted to say this post very much reveals your writing talent!

"The things that I find to be most reliable in life are desire, medication, and pain. And of those I don't trust the first and don't like the second or third. Peace and happiness to me are torturously fleeting in light of the horror of Life."

These are well-woven words. Heck, someone may just quote them in another sermon :)

I get the feeling you are on the brink of a Big Discovery -- it's always darkest before the dawn, yeah?

Watching and praying, and keeping my big stupid mouth out of it :)

Sista Deb

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 7:37:00 AM  
Blogger Patrick Davis said...

Song of Moses
(I think it is very prophetic, and appropriate for part of what you refer to. Also as a human being, how could you not be sickened by what you see? The wickedness of man has not yet had full sway.)
Prelude Deut.31:29 For I know that after my death you are sure to become utterly corrupt and to turn from the way I have commanded you.
The Lord saw this and rejected them because he was angered by his sons and daughters. I will hide my face from them, he said, and see what their end will be, for they are a perverse generation.
But also he said in the same song:
The Lord will judge his people and have compassion on his servants when he sees their strength is gone and no one is left, slave or free.
and again:
Rejoice O Nations, with his people, for he will avenge the blood of his servants.
We have yet to see this vengence, but do you doubt it is coming?
Pat

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 7:31:00 PM  
Blogger Miroslav said...

dad,
yes, my understanding of the Bible is progressing to more fully understand that He does not claim to be the father of all.

deb,
thanks for the compliments on my writing, sista.
I appreciate your hope for a Big Discovery on my end. I have to imagine that is partly because this particular post has a strong focus on the concept that all Life as we know it is Death, a concept that can be found at the foundation of Christian theology.

Still I am left wrestling with the concept of "few are chosen" and trying to understand that as Love. Seems more cruel than anything if I'm being honest. But perhaps I'm just an unjustifiably outspoken chunk of clay after all.

bah.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 7:37:00 PM  
Blogger Miroslav said...

Mr D,
A very intriguing section of scripture. But.. to answer your question, yes. I doubt that vengeance is coming. I doubt that Justice is anything more than an ideal. Sadly, I doubt it all.

Hope, however ... is a different story.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 7:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey.

I wrote this late night on the 14th (slash) early morning of the 15th. After reading this post, I really felt strongly that you were feeling a certain way. But then towards the end, where I stopped (I wasn't even sure if I was finished or not) I was confused in my spirit. I wasn't sure if I should send it or not so I started waiting. Now I wanna send it. Here it is 'as-is':

Read this my friend.

Psalm 37
Of David.
1 [a] Do not fret because of evil men
or be envious of those who do wrong;
2 for like the grass they will soon wither,
like green plants they will soon die away.

3 Trust in the LORD and do good;
dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.

4 Delight yourself in the LORD
and he will give you the desires of your heart.

5 Commit your way to the LORD;
trust in him and he will do this:

6 He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn,
the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.

7 Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him;
do not fret when men succeed in their ways,
when they carry out their wicked schemes.

8 Refrain from anger and turn from wrath;
do not fret—it leads only to evil.

9 For evil men will be cut off,
but those who hope in the LORD will inherit the land.

10 A little while, and the wicked will be no more;
though you look for them, they will not be found.

11 But the meek will inherit the land
and enjoy great peace.

12 The wicked plot against the righteous
and gnash their teeth at them;

13 but the Lord laughs at the wicked,
for he knows their day is coming.

14 The wicked draw the sword
and bend the bow
to bring down the poor and needy,
to slay those whose ways are upright.

15 But their swords will pierce their own hearts,
and their bows will be broken.

16 Better the little that the righteous have
than the wealth of many wicked;

17 for the power of the wicked will be broken,
but the LORD upholds the righteous.

18 The days of the blameless are known to the LORD,
and their inheritance will endure forever.

19 In times of disaster they will not wither;
in days of famine they will enjoy plenty.

20 But the wicked will perish:
The LORD's enemies will be like the beauty of the fields,
they will vanish—vanish like smoke.

21 The wicked borrow and do not repay,
but the righteous give generously;

22 those the LORD blesses will inherit the land,
but those he curses will be cut off.

23 If the LORD delights in a man's way,
he makes his steps firm;

24 though he stumble, he will not fall,
for the LORD upholds him with his hand.

25 I was young and now I am old,
yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken
or their children begging bread.

26 They are always generous and lend freely;
their children will be blessed.

27 Turn from evil and do good;
then you will dwell in the land forever.

28 For the LORD loves the just
and will not forsake his faithful ones.
They will be protected forever,
but the offspring of the wicked will be cut off;

29 the righteous will inherit the land
and dwell in it forever.

30 The mouth of the righteous man utters wisdom,
and his tongue speaks what is just.

31 The law of his God is in his heart;
his feet do not slip.

32 The wicked lie in wait for the righteous,
seeking their very lives;

33 but the LORD will not leave them in their power
or let them be condemned when brought to trial.

34 Wait for the LORD
and keep his way.
He will exalt you to inherit the land;
when the wicked are cut off, you will see it.

35 I have seen a wicked and ruthless man
flourishing like a green tree in its native soil,

36 but he soon passed away and was no more;
though I looked for him, he could not be found.

37 Consider the blameless, observe the upright;
there is a future [b] for the man of peace.

38 But all sinners will be destroyed;
the future [c] of the wicked will be cut off.

39 The salvation of the righteous comes from the LORD;
he is their stronghold in time of trouble.

40 The LORD helps them and delivers them;
he delivers them from the wicked and saves them,
because they take refuge in him.

Yes...yes, I know how you hate verse 25.

Psalm 119
82 My eyes fail, looking for your promise;
I say, "When will you comfort me?"

Good people, bad people, and every people in between, go through trials. Unspeakable, unimaginable evil is done to those whom we would all agree are innocent...undeserving of such wickedness.

Why would God allow such things?

For good...but I think for long-term good. I mean, ultimately, He does things for His glory, right? Somehow, permitting evil will lead to His glory.

One reason people endure this evil is so that His Comfort can first be dispensed, then bottled, and finally given away to somebody else who needs it...

2 Corinthians 1
The God of All Comfort
3Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 4who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. 5For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows.

He wants us to consider it pure joy sometimes. Why!?!

Well, for Christians…

James 1
2Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

Or

Romans 5
Peace and Joy
1Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we[a]have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we[b] rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. 3Not only so, but we[c] also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

What a strange formula.

And maybe for those who have not believed, God permits these trials to produce repentance…

Luke 15:10
In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents."

Sneaky, sneaky…

Whose fault is all this evil, anyways? Can’t God figure out a BETTER way?

Well…it's not His fault simply by definition. He has none:

Psalm 18:30
The ways of God are without fault.

(sigh)

He loves us:

John 15
13"Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.

So what does He do?

Romans 5
6You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. 7Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die. 8But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

9Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God's wrath through him! 10For if, when we were God's enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!

Talk about mellowin’ our harsh!!

Ok, that was it. I hope this is a help to your heart.

p.s. Psalm 119:82 is placed in a weird spot. I meant it to be my way of seeing how you feel. Okay, I butchered that sentence. One more time:

At the time, I thought you felt like the Psalmist did in Psalm 119:82

Thursday, March 16, 2006 3:38:00 PM  
Blogger Miroslav said...

long-anon,
Thank you for sharing your heart with me! I appreciate all that you wrote. One of my favorite portions of the Bible is Psalm 73. It deals with a lot of the UNFAIR things of the world, ... finally pointint to eternity (of which we are given a glimpse in to via the sanctuary of God) as the answer we must look to.
Actually, though, this post isn't really about the injustices of the world so much as it is about how horribly twisted my mind becomes when I try to make judgements about even the most gruesome of things. Its a horrible place to be in.

Friday, March 17, 2006 3:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Miroslav,

Yes, what a Psalm!

I see why you like it...it reflects quite well what you feel:

16 When I tried to understand all this,
it was oppressive to me

17 till I entered the sanctuary of God;
then I understood their final destiny.

Get yer butt in that sanctuary!

Okay, okay...I couldn't resist.

PLEASE get yer butt in that sanctuary.

Love always,

Long-Anon

Friday, March 17, 2006 11:03:00 PM  
Blogger Jack H said...

The universe is a chamber of horrors. The human capacity for evil has not grown with the centuries . Vlad the Impaler was as monstrous as Pol Pot. Gauius Caligula, Antiochus Epiphanies (“manifest God”) punningly called “Epimenes” (“crazyman”) by those who knew him - monster rulers … Assyrians and Aztecs – monster civilizations. Child rapists and petty torturers? – monsters on their own account. That the nightmare invades your waking hours, M, is not cause for despair. It has always been so, yet we continue. It seems, somehow, that the joy we find, where we find it, and the love that we feel for our loved ones, somehow justifies the pain of it all. We weigh the moments of agony against the moments of pleasure, and the equation balances. What is it that tips the scale? Christians think they know the answer.

Children do not need to be taught to hate. No emotion needs to be taught. Anyone who thinks otherwise, has not made a full study of children – which is to say, of human nature. The conceit here is that human nature is good. If it is good, M, then why your personal struggle? These atrocities can only be anomalies. They aren’t. They are diagnostic of humanity. Rotten. All the more reason to despair? See the preceding paragraph.

We are taught evil, and we choose evil. To make any other excuse is to stumble along that infinite regress of unaccountability. Finally, stupidly, we arrive at the paradox of who does God blame. Well, actually, he blames us. And rightly. But mine is not a faith of mutual recriminations. My folly is sufficient for me to blame myself. Let others do as they please, in this regard. Are we victims. Certainly. In our victimhood, what is our response? Virtue (again, virtue), or vice.

You “don’t know”? Not a unique situation. You don’t know how do live is such a state? It is a state common to all thinking people. Insanity? Tell me about it. I offer no advice. And perhaps I’ve softened, about your apostasy. I don’t know you well enough, or at all, to feel meaningful compassion for you, but I can say, with considerable authority, that there is no observation we can make about pain, that is original. I wrote somewhere, of Adam clutching his dead son’s head, weeping tears his exile never taught him. Real pain is the pain we feel for the pain of those we love. Love harder, lover more, then. Just to spite whatever bastard force there is in this world that loves evil.



J

Thursday, March 30, 2006 9:59:00 PM  
Blogger Miroslav said...

long-anon,
Welp, I'matryin'! :) 'Bout every other week I'm in there.

J,
Great entry. Thank you for it. I've thought about it since you've posted.

"We weigh the moments of agony against the moments of pleasure, and the equation balances." - How true it is! What is our other option? Despite the horrors you have listed, and because of the balancing force of Goodness..., the purity and Truth of death has only fleeting attraction to me. Thank God.

For me, the verdict is still out on humanity's 'nature'. Perhaps some ARE born with seeds of vile deeds in their heart and mind. And perhaps some are destined to fight for Goodness. As painful a truth that Evil is in our world, equally evident is it's counterpart.

We agree that the teaching of hate is the deplorable practice of some.

Ultimately, the 'paradox of who God blames' is the mysterious void to which I continue to turn to in hopes of rediscovering my faith. How torturous it is to have such a foundational issue be a paradox! Yes, the very core issue! But, it is all His perogative I suppose. :)

About observed pain... agreed.

"Real pain is the pain we feel for the pain of those we love. Love harder, lover more, then. Just to spite whatever bastard force there is in this world that loves evil." - A damn good quote there my friend. In reality, they are words that I try to live by ... with hope that my faith in Christ can somehow be rekindled ... and should it not, that grace would make up the difference.

Sunday, April 02, 2006 12:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


www.flickr.com

"Deep Thoughts" from Saturday Night Live ...