Sunday, February 26, 2006

Jes - OHM - us

I have finished reading "the Cloud of Unknowing" and "the Book of Privy Counseling" by William Johnston, a gift to me by my elder brother. In essence, this book is a how-to for Christian men and women seeking to experience the fullness of God via meditation, or "contemplative prayer". It is my first reading of any books or material related to a mystic Christianity and it was certainly different than anything I've ever read. A life dedicated to meditation is something that I've only seen in Eastern religions, never Christianity. Though it doesn't strike me as contradictory to any instruction(s) in the Bible, it just seems ... a bit too weighted on the side of soulfulness when I consider the most important commandment. Also, given the state of my faith, it was a difficult read. Maybe down the road I will pick it up again and it will have a stronger impact on me. For now, it gets only two thumbs up (out of five) from this reader.

Now on to a book loaned to me by -FC-, "Night" by Elie Wiesel.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read "Night" about a month ago. Very heart-wrenching. I liked the intro by Elie Wiesel's christian friend and the Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech in the back. I think it is good that the book has been re-issued again during this time of great turmoil in the Middle East and growing anti-semitism in Europe. We need to remember and learn from the past.

Monday, February 27, 2006 9:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


www.flickr.com

"Deep Thoughts" from Saturday Night Live ...