Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Trip to D.C. - Photos - Tuesday

A very exciting and enjoyable day today. We heard Vice President Dick Cheney in the morning session, listened to Diane Feinstein in early afternoon, and then had a private lobbying session with Congresswoman Matsui. I have never been one to enjoy politics AT ALL... but this was a really eye-opening experience.

Read a little more and see a couple of pics!So yeah... the day started out like all of the other days here: me in a half-asleep zombie like state due to poor sleep. :( When I got to the conference center to meet up with the rest of the group, it was obvious that security was a lot tighter than normal. Lines for days. I finally got in and thankfully my dad had saved me a seat. Before long, Vice President Cheney came out and was greeted by a moving standing ovation by the audience. It was pretty neat and I think that it even caught Cheney by surprise. After several minutes went by and after everybody sat down, a wide smile spread across Cheney's face and he said, "Well. You all just made my day!" It was a very neat thing. He gave a fairly dry speech, but it was still a cool experience to be participating in an event with one of the most powerful men in the world.


The view from our seats. VP Cheney at the mic.



En route to the meeting with the Congresswoman we pause for a photo-op.



After our meeting with the Congresswoman we did some walking around the city. On the steps of the capital building (where we will be touring tomorrow am), we found this large group of Hispanic people protesting a immigration reform bill which I heard through the grapevine would make it a crime to harbor illegal immigrants (I was unable to find any info online). Anybody else have any info on this? I asked some protesters but the first three I asked didn't speak English and the one that did had no details.



We ended up walking a couple of miles back to the hotel... just enjoyed the sights and sounds of this amazing city. When I got back to the hotel, I desperately wanted to sleep. I tried to for a couple of hours, but ultimately gave up and headed out for some grub. More steamed buns. Yum.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Photos! I tried to find something on the bill you speak of but there are tons of immigration bills and I cant narrow down unless I read through each one - So without alittle more info I can be of no help.. have fun and be safe!

-- FC

Tuesday, March 07, 2006 8:14:00 PM  
Blogger Deborah said...

Awesome photos! Thanks for posting these...

Looks you guys had great seats too!

Wednesday, March 08, 2006 3:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


www.flickr.com

"Deep Thoughts" from Saturday Night Live ...