Monday, June 26, 2006

Intro to Tolstoy

A book I'm reading has got me very curious about life and times of Leo Tolstoy. He's the next guy I'm gonna check out. Anybody that writes something like this is deserving of the sort of attention he gets:

"In historical events great men - so-called - are but labels serving to give a name to the event, and like labels they have the least possible connection with the event itself. Every action of theirs, that seems to them an act of their own free will, is in an historical sense not free at all, but in bondage to the whole course of previous history, and predestined from all eternity." (from War and Peace)
I mean, wow, .... the last part of that has some serious UMPH. Powerful.

2 Comments:

Blogger Patrick Davis said...

Miroslav,
Toltoy was an idealist (with wrong ideas), killed very specifically by Lenin. He was wrong in that he bought into the wrong idealism. But go and find out- history is a fascinating study, if you remember to keep a healthy degree of skepticism.
Do remember the skepticism part, as there are many with an agenda that is unannounced.
Pat

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 6:49:00 PM  
Blogger Patrick Davis said...

Oops. I made a bad mistake. Shame on me. I suppose I was thinking of Trotsky. Gee whiz- just when I thought I was turning into a well-read old dude.
Pat

Saturday, July 22, 2006 7:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


www.flickr.com

"Deep Thoughts" from Saturday Night Live ...