Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Got me thinking...

Just read an interesting entry at a friend's blog.
Read it if you like, 'tis pretty short: The Answer Age

Recently, while looking at some office space to lease, my own thoughts travelled along this same path as Mr. D's in the above-referenced entry. My wife and I had walked in to an office space that was for lease and we were exploring each nook and cranny. We happened upon a stack of old encyclopedias. The memories that struck me! ... I started rambling off the top of my head, "Wow! Remember when you actually had to go research stuff? Back when each school project meant a trip to the library to look in Encyclopedias for stories, pictures, and data?"

What else did you think Miroslav? Tell us more!I drove home pondering many things. Mr. D's primary concern in his writing seems to be that we may have lost sight of the "great questions" of "Why am I in this world? What end is there for me? Why do I feel there is a definite right and a definite wrong?" .... My mind's travels did not lead me to the same quandry, though I don't deny that one exists.

No, instead my thoughts lead me to wonder what it must be like growing up in this ULTRA-Information Age. Where EVERYTHING is a google-click away. Friends, church, sex, agony, humor... Thinking about it with my kids in mind makes me sad in some strange way.

Is it just me that remember one of the most electrifying things about childhood was the wonderful mystery of life? Going to Disneyland was cool not just because of what Disneyland IS... but largely also because all that we knew about it as kids was MYTH. We had heard thingsabout it. Maybe seen a picture here and there. And had talked to other kids who had gone before us. But not like the kids today. Sure, going to Disneyland.com isn't going to sour any child on the idea of visiting the place... but that magical mystery of the unknown is stolen somehow. Makes me sad. I also get this feeling whenever I watch a movie, set back in the days of Babe Ruth, that shows a bunch of kids playing baseball in a old dirt field... They seem to have a magnificent, radiant innocence that is just not present in kids today. It seems that earlier and earlier, children are burdoned with the weight of knowledge. (weep, weep, sob, sob... oh the humanity of it all!!! ...)

But I wonder if thats what our parent's parents thought when the ol' TV's came rolling out. And way back when, when the typed word turned in to newspapers with photos. Maybe we are not so far along as we think we are with technology. Maybe the mystery of life will be stolen to much greater degree in the future. Or maybe the mysteries of life will continue to elude us so long as we inhabit this planet.

'Cause you know what? Even with the Internet, DVD's, and Micky on Tivo...
my son sure loves Disneyland.

1 Comments:

Blogger Miroslav said...

doh! didn't realize I had a broken link on here earlier. Sheesh... where's the love people? You gotta tell me these things!

(now you CAN read more if you want)

Thursday, December 22, 2005 6:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


www.flickr.com

"Deep Thoughts" from Saturday Night Live ...